Recent Posts

Thursday, 26 June 2014

Review | Ben Nye Banana Luxury Powder


Hi guys! So the topic at hand today is none other than the much hyped/talked about Ben Nye Banana Luxury Powder. Now I know that there are a zillion reviews of this product already, but since it has been one of my staple makeup products for several years - waaay waaay before all the hype started, I thought that I’d add my two cents worth too so read on folks…

Ben Nye Banana Luxury Powder | Ben Nye Banana Luxury Powder | UK Makeup Blog | UK Beauty Blog | UK Beauty Blogger | www.thebellenarrative.com
Ben Nye Banana Luxury Powder, £8.95/42g (also available in other sizes)

In a nutshell, Ben Nye Banana Luxury Powder is a very finely milled matte loose setting powder with a hint of yellow pigment. Although the powder has been a makeup artist favourite for years it has become a worldwide hit ever since it became public knowledge that Kim Kardashian’s makeup artist uses it to set her under-eye concealer and highlight.

Don't be freaked out by how yellow it looks, the powder is actually translucent with just a hint of colour and is suitable for all skin tones. Being so finely milled, the powder feels light on the skin and has a nice silky feel and texture. It blends into the skin seamlessly leaving you with a smooth, very flawless looking finish. Not only does the yellow pigment in the powder instantly brighten up the skin, but it also gives it a beautiful highlighted glow - yup just like that of Kim Kardashian.

Ben Nye Banana Luxury Powder is an uber versatile product. It is of course a top quality all-over face setting powder in its own right, although given its much-famed ability to illuminate the skin it is most commonly used for highlighting the face, especially the under-eye area as seen on Kim K. It can also be used to help combat bluish under-eye circles and to minimise the appearance of redness - note, you will still need to colour correct and conceal first, this is a translucent powder after all so it will not provide coverage. ...So there you go, this is way, way more than just an ordinary setting powder!

I adore this powder for the sole fact that it's the only powder that I’ve come across which is yellow enough to perfectly compliment my golden yellow undertones. So naturally this powder is a permanent fixture on my makeup table - it’s actually the only setting powder that I currently use at the moment, ‘nuff said really. By the way: Makeup manufactures take note – this is how you cater for yellow/golden undertones!!

    
Ben Nye Banana Luxury Powder | Beauty Blogger | Makeup Reviews | Makeup Blog | Beauty Blog | Beauty Blogger | www.thebellenarrative.com
 
Recommendations:
This powder tends to work best on those with olive/yellow undertones especially since it doesn’t leave that horrible ashy/white grayish cast that some other loose powders do, it actually does the opposite as it gives your face a gorgeous healthy, radiant glow. Trust me, if you have strong yellow or golden undertones and want to enhance them, then this is the powder for the job. I get so many lovely compliments whenever I wear this powder as it really does make my face glow!

So what if this shade’s not for you? Fear not for Ben Nye Luxury Powders are available in a range of shades to suit all skin tones - "Banana" is just the most talked about shade that’s all. There are loads and loads of reviews out there on the Internet (including some really excellent YouTube videos and blog posts) which explain the ins and outs of the various different shades so check them out if you want to know more, or need help finding your correct shade.

More great things about this powder:
- It is very longwearing – I have combination skin and can normally go 8 hours if not a whole day without having to touch-up. Oily skins should normally be able to go 4-6 hours without having to touch-up but obviously results will vary from person to person. All I can personally say is trust me, this is my holy grail setting powder - once applied my makeup doesn’t budge.

- It is an absolute gem for setting under-eye concealer, not only does it brighten up the under-eye area but it prevents your concealer from creasing and settling into fine lines.

- It doesn't leave a white cast in photographs so is ideal for use in flash photography.

- It is renown for it's superior ability to absorb excess oil and control shine.

- It diminishes the appearance of pores.

- It will not look cakey, providing that you don't use too much product - less really is more with this product.

- It is inexpensive and amazing value for money since you get loads of product. A pot will last you a very looong time, especially as you only need to use a really small amount of product.

Why is the word "Banana" in the product name?
Just in case anyone’s wondering, the product doesn’t smell of bananas or anything, "banana" is just the name of the shade name, the powder is actually fragrance-free which is always a good thing.

I only have two negatives about this product...
1. It contains parabens (nooo why?!!) which I can't even pretend to ignore since it's printed right on the front of the pot. It would be great if Ben Nye were able to reformulate the ingredients, they do take feedback on board so here's hoping...

2. The sifter jar packaging is so annoying!! For such a finely milled powder those sifter holes are ridiculously big (as pictured below). Every time you go to pour some powder out, not only do you dispense way too much product which is just plain wasteful, you also end up making a mess (I hate mess!) as powder goes everywhere! The only thing that I like about the packaging is that it's clear so you can see exactly how much product you have left.


Ben Nye Banana Luxury Powder | Beauty Blogger | Makeup Reviews | Makeup Blog | Beauty Blog | Beauty Blogger | www.thebellenarrative.com
 
Tips for dealing with the not-so-great packaging:
- Before using this powder it’s best to lay down some paper in preparation for the ensuing mess.
- To minimise wastage some people cover all but one/two of the sifter holes with Sellotape, whilst others pour the powder into an old loose powder container, one that's better designed to do the job of course!

    Where to buy it...
    I normally purchase my Ben Nye Banana Luxury Powder from the Screenface store in Covent Garden, but it is widely available to purchase online (I never understand why some people make it sound like this stuff is really really hard to get hold off when it isn't). Screenface sell it on their website too, but it always seems to be out of stock so here's a couple of places that sell it online and seem to regularly have a good supply - both ship internationally: Guru Makeup Emporium and PAM.

    In summary:
    Yes this product most definitely does live up to the hype and without a doubt it’s the best setting powder that I’ve ever used!!

    Wow I seemed to have written loads (I have a passion for good product)...so there you go, a very detailed review for you - I hope that you found it helpful :)

    Have you tried Ben Nye Banana Luxury Powder?

    Aimee xx

    45 comments:

    1. This packaging does look really annoying and I'd probably spill it out everywhere! But I am keen to try out this powder, especially since you had good results with shine control! X

      Bec | Bec & Beauty

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep the packaging is a real annoyance! It's great for controlling shine though - definitely worth a try! :) x

        Delete
    2. Thanks for this awesome review it was really in depth! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Aw thanks so much Margo. I'm really glad that you found my review useful :)

        Delete
    3. I've never heard of a banana powder before! Great review though, I'd love to try this product out :)

      The Sunday Chapter xxx

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you :) I'd definitely recommend giving this a whirl :) x

        Delete
    4. Thanks for reviewing this! I've been wanting to try it for ages!

      http://starsandspaceandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. No probs chick, I hope that you found the review helpful :) x

        Delete
    5. This is a brilliant review, thank you! I've been looking for a translucent powder for ages and I'm definitely going to give this a try after reading! xx

      What Emma Wears // UK Fashion Blog

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Pleasure, happy to help :) Thank you, I really appreciate the kind feedback :) xx

        Delete
    6. Awesome review. I heard that this is a powder that drag queens use a lot hah! Good to know it really works!
      xo
      Miss Anna Rebecka

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you :) It really does work wonders!

        Delete
    7. It's great when you find a product that compliments your skin tone. We did wonder about the 'banana' name :-) Thanks for sharing; great review lovely. Hope you're well.

      x Roch & Tash x
      www.next-route-style.blogspot.co.uk

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi dolls thanks for dropping by, I'm really well thanks :) Yes trust me it's a real blessing! Glad that you enjoyed the review :) x

        Delete
    8. Sounds amazing. Thank you for sharing this with us, I've never tried it and definitely have to! Love your blog so I'll follow you :)
      xx
      Mia

      ssenescence.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm so glad that you liked the review :) If you try it, let me know how you get on! Thanks for popping by and for following xx

        Delete
    9. I haven't tried this powder but I have heard so many great things about it. Great review!

      Allthingsglitterandbeauty

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you :) Yes this product is much raved about isn't it :) It's definitely worth the hype in my book! :) x

        Delete
    10. Great review, I've definitely heard a lot about this powder but I've just never been too convinced it might work for me! From the sound of your review, though, it just might!

      I'll check out the international sites you linked...it's almost impossible to get my hands on it from stores here in Australia!

      xx

      ReplyDelete
    11. I've wanted to try this powder for so long! But I wasn't sure if it would work with my darker skin tone. If only I could find it in person now!

      Jen xx
      jentea.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. On your gorgeous warm complexion I bet it would look beautiful as an under-eye highlight! Plus you can also mix the various shades of these powders together to get your own custom mix :) I've done some research for you, apparently in NYC you can find it in store at Ricky's and Alcone. I hope you manage to track it down xx

        Delete
    12. I just bought this product a few weeks ago and I love it! & I SO agree with you on the packaging.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Such a fab product isn't it! Yep such a shame about the packaging x

        Delete
    13. I have been looking for a good facial powder that will eliminate the appearance of pores...No luck so far....everything I use seems to make them more noticeable!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Aw really, that must be annoying :( This powder is the only one that has ever helped minimise my pores so you may want to try it! It's more finely milled than other facial powders - it's actually 'micro' milled so shouldn't clog up or enhance pores :) x

        Delete
    14. My skinis quit yellowish so I guess, this would go with my skin tone perfectly :) I haven't experimented with many facial powders as I am scared of the after effects, but your review really helped.

      ReplyDelete
    15. This is on my wishlist for ages ! I heard a lot of good things about this one, i will save some money to buy it as a gift for my birthday ! Thanks for the wonderful review !

      ReplyDelete
    16. This reminds me of talcum powder lids! I'm very clumsy and could see it going everywhere! It sounds like a great product to use instead of a primer - which sometimes makes my skin break out :)

      Gemma xx
      http://touchofbelle.blogspot.co.uk/

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes that's exactly what it's like - very clumsy! :)

        Delete
    17. This is on my wishlist a lot of time ago, and i'm really curious about it. I don't know how i'll buy it, cause in Brazil this is a problem, but i'll try :) thank you

      ReplyDelete
    18. I like this ,I think i wana buy for me,because i looks ok

      ReplyDelete
    19. Love the review must try always looking for a powder thatll stop is going orange or jst plain white so awkward lol and its cheaper then most bonus ;) lol x

      ReplyDelete
    20. Great review.
      It s the fisrttime I hear about this product, so nice to discover new things via your posts!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yay, I love introducing people to new products!

        Delete
    21. I was wondering about the banana name! I'm always worried when using a powder that it will make my face look too dry, but this looks pretty good. Have just got some contouring makeup so may give this a try too xx

      ReplyDelete
    22. Thanks for the review! I've never heard of this product, would love to try it.

      ReplyDelete
    23. I've never heard of a banana powder before! It seems to be a good brand!

      ReplyDelete
    24. I have never heard of this product, but it does sound like a great setting powder. I am always looking for lightweight products for my face especially for the summer. Summers in Texas are absolutely sweltering & wearing makeup can turn disasterous if the right products are not used! Thanks for the review!!

      ReplyDelete
    25. Please blog more about beauty, I honestly loved this post!
      I've never heard of this product before! (Which surprises me because I thought I knew most of the go-to products!)
      I was wondering why it had banana in the name though... it'd be funny if it smelled like banana!
      It is a shame though that the container is designed weird... why would you create big holes for such a fine pattern?
      Anyways, thank you for the insight (:

      ReplyDelete
    26. I've never heard of this product, would love to try it. Thank you!

      ReplyDelete
    27. I'm not sure if they sell this in the U.s. as i've never seen it. It really is a bummer about the parabens though :/

      --valerie sobus

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you for your comment :)